Along with regularly cleansing and wearing sunscreen, applying moisturisers to your face, neck and even body is one of the most essential steps of any skin care routine. But far too many people skip this essential piece of the skin care puzzle and fail to apply a quality moisturiser as part of their daily regimen.
Many people are not aware of the importance of skin hydration.
Why is it so crucial to moisturise your skin?
It comes down to the stratum corneum, the outer layer of skin. When this layer is functioning properly, it protects your skin from irritants and inflammation, and it also helps keep the deeper layers of skin hydrated. The stratum corneum is made up of a few different components, including fatty acids and ceramides, so supplementing your skin with moisturisers containing those ingredients can ensure that everything is working as it should, and that your skin will be at its happiest and healthiest.
And, yes, everyone can benefit from moisturising, even those of you with oily skin. Those with oily or acne-prone skin fear that applying moisturisers will only make (their skin issues) worse, so instead they use harsh products and cleansers to dry their skin out. But this can actually be counterproductive because overwashing your skin can actually cause it to produce even more oil. Probably not the goal you’re hoping to achieve.
If you haven’t been able to find moisturisers that works for you, know that you’re not alone. It’s just about choosing the right product, pairing it with your other skin cleansers and serums in the right way, and applying it correctly. Our Skin Care Expert can help guide you to selecting the best moisturiser containing the most beneficial ingredients to suit your skin type and condition.
So, are you ready to learn what can be in a good moisturiser?
To help keep your skin looking younger use a quality moisturiser from head to toe. The face, neck and décolletage should get moisturisers twice daily as should elbows, knees and feet. There are many kinds of moisturisers available for different skin types, but if you really want to keep your skin hydrated, look for moisturisers that contain hyaluronic acid.
Key ingredients in your moisturiser can be;-
- Antioxidants (help shield skin’s surface from further deterioration and defend against the effects of this environmental assault on the visible signs of aging);
- Occlusives (Occlusives hold water in after it has been supplied either by the moisturiser or a soak in water);
- Humectants (Humectants sponge up water, drawing it up from the dermis and, to a limited extent, in humid conditions, from the air);
- Emollients (Emollients fill in rough spots and make skin feel smooth but don’t affect the water content);
- Skin Replenishing Ingredients (there are numerous skin-replenishing ingredients to consider, including hydration-boosting superstars hyaluronic acid, ceramides, sodium PCA, glycerin, glycerol, silicones, petrolatum, salicylic acid, and alpha hydroxy acids);
- Sunscreen (and of course, during the day, your moisturizer should contain broad-spectrum sunscreen rated at least SPF 30+) or apply a quality broad spectrum SPF sunscreen over the top of your moisturiser.
Looking for results-driven professional skin care? We have it covered at NASCENT with brands such as Aspect, Aspect Dr, Aspect Sun, Colorescience, Cosmedix, Cosmedix Elite, Dermaquest, PCA Skin and Societe. Look for Free Delivery, Gifts & Regular Specials.